Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Tuesday 30 July 2013

Crochet Basics

 ♥  When I taught myself to crochet I found the easiest way for me to learn was by watching 'How to' clips on Youtube.
Since picking up the basics this way I have then just sort of stumbled through and whenever I have needed to learn a new stitch I've just Googled it as I have gone along.
However one thing that has really helped has been looking through various different Crochet books and manuals at written instructions, as this has really helped to re-enforce each step.
 
When I first looked at any stitch diagrams I just went into panic mode and convinced myself I would never be able to do it, but when looking back at these same diagrams having learnt the stitch from a video clip it really does make a whole lot more sense. It was also by doing this that I learnt to read a pattern - again something I thought I would never be able to do.
 
 ♥  My reason for writing this post is because in this months Simply Crochet magazine there is a Crochet Essentials guide at the back, and it is, I think , one of the clearest descriptions I have come across yet.

 
It literally starts right from holding the hook and yarn and works you right through all the basic stitches. It also covers things such as how many turning chains you need at the beginning of new rows, how to change colour and one of the most useful things for me has been the Crochet Abbreviation conversions, as I have started a pattern many times only to discover it is written in US terms and it has then been a bit of a nightmare trying to second guess which stitch is which.
 
 
So, there you have it, Kate's Tuesday Top Tip - rush out and buy your copy now!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate...I recently learned to crochet using YouTube and The Happy Hooker and now I love Simply Crochet magazine....there are always so many patterns I want to try out and useful tips...it's great value!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, its good to have a modern take on crochet isn't it ? Kx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥