Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Tuesday 31 December 2013

50% less !

 
Oh WOW !
I have soooo enjoyed looking at all my favourite blogs in the last couple of days
and reading everyone's year end reviews.
There's definitely something about the end of the year that seems to make us all
 more than a little reflective on what has been.
And true to form, reading through everyones lovely posts got me thinking about
what I had been up to this year.
Being new to the land of blogging, having only started justpootling in June this year,
I'm afraid there will be 50% less on my review, but then it is January sales time isn't it ?

I had to chuckle when looking back through my posts as this blanket seems to feature quite heavily throughout the last few months as it gets picked up and put down in amongst all the other little makes taking place.
 
 
A very special 'home' blanket was made for Meg, our eldest, who moved into her own house back in August, as of course she needed a snuggle blanket of her very own for her new sofa.
 

We had a couple of lovely short breaks away in our caravan in early summer and I bought these gorgeous fairy lights back from Lyme Regis. I gave them a little 'paintover' and they now hang happily in the caravan reminding us of holidays past.

 
I have to admit to falling in love big time with Converses this summer and I just couldn't resist adding a little extra something to these ones.

 
Next, there was a daisy blanket waiting to be finished off. I love this blanket, it's so warm and snuggly and this too is in our caravan ready for the chillier evenings when we hopefully get away again next year.


Ooo - here it is again ! But this time out in our garden , catching a couple of minutes of quiet crochet in the early morning.
 

Being surrounded by lots of very soggy fields at the moment it is lovely to remember back to the amazing endless days of sunshine we had back in the summer.


In amongst the crochet there were a few fun makeovers as well. I so enjoyed transforming this junk shop lamp from this...
 

...to this.
 There was sewing, painting, sticking and lots of pin pricked fingers,
 but I was so proud of it when it was finished.
 
 
It was just perfect for warm evenings in the garden as the sun went down.
 

A bit of time out in August to make way for lots of partying - well you're only 50 once right ?

 
Can't recommend being 50 enough !
 

Bizarrely I picked the hottest summer in years to make a very huge and
very chunky blanket for Beth,
our middle daughter, to take back with her to Uni.

 
Yep, it sure was huuuuugggggeeeee ...
 
 
...lots of room for several housemates to get under.
 
 
A bit more painting made a
rather dull mirror...
 

... into one that had a lot more character,
as well as being the perfect place for my Skipton Hare
 to sit, a little souvenir from my Yarndale weekend.


A new arrival of the four legged variety came with a request for some
 special dog blankets
 - tick, job done.


And then there was a fun weekend making Innocent Smoothie hats.

                                                

Suddenly Christmas was on the horizon so time to set to with a few present makes.
This fell in very nicely with my little dishcloth obsession.

 
 
Parcels were packaged up and sent off to America,
 
 
and also to Gilly, as my part of the Ladybird Diaries Christmas Decoration Swap.
 
 
Back to Christmas presents...
 

...and lovely evenings spent crocheting in front of the fire.

 
 And in amongst it all, a little present made by me for me .
 
 
Snow ? Bring it on !
 
 
And before you know it, here we are, full circle,
back with the stripey blanket, nearly there now, the final reveal will be soon.
So there it is, my very first year end review.
I love being a part of this bloggy world and like so many of you my head is full to bursting with lots or planned projects for 2014. It has to be said they mostly seem to be of the blanket variety, there's just something about the quiet, repetitive crocheting of a blanket that I am quite utterly addicted to.
First one ? Another snuggly home blanket for Immi, our youngest who is off to Uni later in the year to study midwifery.
 
Many, many best wishes for the New Year to everyone.
Thank you for popping by throughout the last six months and welcoming me in to the fold,
and for leaving so many lovely comments.
 I hope you will visit again throughout the coming year and I look forward to discovering more blogs to follow and to making more bloggy friends.
x
 
 
 

35 comments:

  1. All of your makes have been so lovely Kate and I look foward to following on and reading and seeing more in 2014, as well as seeing your blanket when it is finished! Happy New Year, I hope that it only brings good things for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog yesterday and have really enjoyed your 2013 review, even though it was 50% less. You have made some very lovely things and I'm looking forward to reading your blog in the coming year. Happy New Year to you ~ hope it's a good one :O)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jackie
      Glad you discovered me ! Happy New Year,
      Kx

      Delete
  3. Hi Kate, Happy New Year to you too! Lovely post with all your crafty makes, glad you have enjoyed the stripy blanket making, I am a bit like you, blankets seem to be my go-to make, very addictive I agree! Thanks so much for all the lovely comments you have left on my blog over 2013, it is always nice to 'hear' from you! Hope you have a great 2014, and get plenty of hooky time in :) All the best, Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You too Jules, Happy New Year.
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of lovely makes there. Wishing you a happy new year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely review - I look forward to reading 2014 - hope you have a good year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue
      Thank you for dropping by - what a lovely blog you have ! Really looking forward to visiting lots more in 2014,
      Happy New Year,
      Kate x

      Delete
  7. Hi Kate and happy New Year to you too! Really looking forward to the reveal of the stripey blanket, it looks like it's going to be a fab one! And well done on all those wonderful creations, such talent! I's fun that you are enjoying being part of the blogging community, i still haven't taken the plunge but i am very happy reading all those lovely words from ordinary people doing extraordinary crafty makes, it's enough for now. Looking forward to more from you in 2014. Take care. Corinne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corinne
      Thank you for all your lovely comments.
      Happy New Year,
      Kate x

      Delete
  8. Lots of lovely projects Kate, despite being "50% less"! I'm intrigued by your pink crochet hook - it looks as though it has a lovely soft grip? Would like to try one out if you can point me in the right direction. Happy New Year. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane
      Yes, the pink hooks are amazing to work with. The grip is soft making it very comfortable to hold - and I wouldn't use anything else now.
      I got mine through Ebay, through a shop called Yarnstick. They are called TULIP ETIMO ROSE and come in various sizes. They are a little more expensive than regular hooks but I think well worth the price.
      Hope this helps,
      Kate x

      Delete
    2. Thank you Kate, found Yarnstick through Ebay and have ordered one, so looking forward to trying it out.
      Jane x

      Delete
  9. Hi Kate...
    What a great job you did in highlighting your past 1/2 year!
    Lovely crochet...I must say!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lot of beautiful makes, Kate! I loved this post and seeing what you have been up to this year. Looking forward to visiting you in 2014 :) Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. Have a great start to the New Year,
      Kx

      Delete
  11. I've just found your blog, and I'm blown away by the beautiful things you've made. Your choice of colours and patterns is wonderful, very striking. I'll be following along in the New Year. Wishing you much happiness for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi CJ
    Very glad you found me ! Hope you're not too waterlogged where you are, have just been watching it all on the news.
    Happy New Year,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kate, Happy New Year. I loved your review of 2013, your party decorations looked fantastic and as always your crochet makes me sigh with happiness. Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. Happy New Year to you and all your family.
      Kx

      Delete
  14. A very happy 2014 to you Kate!

    I think you've more than made up for the missing six months, you've created some real beauties. I just love your cosy hood!!! My favourite must be your Little Woollie-inspired striped blanket though, it's just stunning. I can't wait to see your ta-dah pictures.

    It's been a joy to meet you this year.

    Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise Heather, I have sooooo enjoyed dipping in to see your beautifully quirky blog and having lots of little giggles to myself.
      Happy New Year to you and all your family,
      Kate x

      Delete
  15. What a gorgeous crafty year you have had! You really have made some beautiful things. Wishing you a very happy new year.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne, Happy New Year to you too,
      K x

      Delete
  16. What a fab year you've had Kate! It's so lovely that the stripy blanket has been growing through all those good times - it will be full of lots of happy memories! I hope 2014 is just as fun, colourful and happy.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. I hope you have a good year too , with plenty of relaxing knitting and crochet throughout.
      Happy New Year,
      Kate x

      Delete
  17. Happy New Year to you and your family Kate!....It's been lovely to visit you through 2013 and see all your gorgeous makes. Thank you too for coming to visit me through the past year...Looking forward to reading more of your lovely posts through 2014!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I came to your blog via Attic 24 and I really love the projects you've made this year. You must crochet like a demon to have completed all those blankets!! I'm using up scrap for hexagons at the moment to send away for a kidney charity - it's an instant gratification sort of thing!
    Lunch Lady Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many beautiful projects! My heart goes for the converse shoes make over.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kate. Your blog is gorgeous - much more organised than mine and I envy you all your hooky time - I seem to start loads of projects and then never finish them as work gets in the way! Looking forward to reading your blog this year - I've added you to my feed via Bloglovin'. Thanks for visiting me over at www.crafthippy.com and for your kind comments. Here's to a productive 2014. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for popping over at tartofcratt.blogspot. Crikey you have been busy!! My blanket of shame is still poking it's tongue out at me...I think the fact I dislike the yarn really isn't helping...that and I keep getting distracted with other bits!
    Happy New Year!
    Nicky
    s

    ReplyDelete
  22. You certainly packed plenty into those 6 months! Happy New Year Kate, and may 2014 be just as fun and just as full for you x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥