Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Friday 21 March 2014

Looking back ...


One quite unexpected thing that I love about blogging is that it has proved to be such a lovely way to keep a record of all the things that I have made since starting on my crochet journey.
 Its amazing how quickly I seem to forget about making projects past when I am constantly in 'head buzzing, full steam ahead, straight into the next new make, mode'. 
And looking back through the other day I came across the photo's of this blanket that I made for our bed a couple of years ago.


It instantly brought back lots of lovely memories of time spent methodically working 
away on all the squares.
 Strangely enough, even as I'm typing this now, the thing that's coming back to me the most 
 is the smell of the wool - it was just utterly delicious.
I have tingly nostrils just thinking about it !


It was the very first thing I made using Sublime Extra Fine Merino DK, and oh, 
what absolute bliss it was to work with.
I think I was spoilt for ever more after that !
I chose a pale putty colour ( I think it might have been either FAYE or CARAMEL ) for the main body of the blanket and outlined each square and then the very edge of the blanket with cream ( ALABASTER ).


Everything about the wool just worked, the way it crocheted up , the colour, and the weight of it 
was so perfect that I have to admit to not blocking one single inch of 
this blanket because it came off the hook pretty much ready to go.


I had just wanted to create a blanket that was simple in its pattern, could be all one colour and that would fit into a room that had other neutral tones and shades that it would blend with.
I used the Basic Granny Square Pattern from Little Tin Bird. 
I found the way that Heather explained the pattern was so clear and concise and with pictures of all the different stages it was perfect for me being still relatively new to it all.


 This pattern has continued to be a firm favourite, taking pride of place in my file of  ideas,
 patterns, things I ♥ , and all  things of crochet and knitted gorgeousness, 
from Julies beautiful bunny
 to Jules inspirational stripy blankets.




My blanket ended up being 6 squares wide by 7 squares long,
 and I'm pretty sure each square was about 14 rounds.
I then did a couple of rounds of DC around each square in cream.


The border was so simple to do as I crocheted a couple of rounds of DC around the edge of the whole blanket and then the ruffle was made by crocheting 3 TR's into each DC all the way round. 
The finished blanket perfectly fits a Kingsize bed.



I have since used the same pattern to make blankets that are basically just one ginormous square. 
                                                These work really well as lap blankets. 


I made one for Mum for Mothers Day last year and because she found that it was rather mysteriously                                              slipping across to Dad's lap I have since made him one too.
                                                His had a much more manly border though !


( just noticed the terrible tea cup mark on the table ... I do polish, honest ...)

28 comments:

  1. Whilst creating such beautiful things who worries about a coffee cup ring. Spray it with some polish with a bees wax content and it will soon disappear. I find I have too many ideas and not enough time to create them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, here Mitzi ! ( Shall try the beeswax though ! ) x

      Delete
  2. It's so pretty Kate!!! I just finish a large blanket myself out of that pattern. Of all patterns out there....this one is my favorite!
    xx Shari

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely blanket Kate, I think it's simplicity is what makes it so striking. I love the ruffle edging, thank you for sharing the details on how you did it, I'd like to give it a try. Have a lovely weekend.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate, I've just found your blog. Your crochet is beautiful! I crochet too, and have been thinking about a one-color project lately, maybe a blanket for the family room. Your blog is lovely and all of your work is beautiful, I'm looking forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jennifer
      Thank you for popping by .. I too have just had a quick peek at your blog and your ripple crochet, worked on outside - yay - is gorgeous, such pretty colours.
      Look forward to you visiting again soon,
      K x

      Delete
  5. It is a beautiful blanket and I love that you enjoyed making it so much and that it brings back such lovely memories for you. That is the nicest thing of all. Hope that your Dad likes his lap blanket to go with your Mum's!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, Have a restful and crafty weekend,
      K x

      Delete
  6. What a lovely blanket, I really love the colours. Thank you for sharing :-)
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy reading your blog. Such a nice tranquil place. The blanket on your bed is lovely. Colours are so soothing and pattern so simple but effective. I have just started blogging last year and I agree it is a great place to record what I have made as I forget. I enjoy blogging.
    I also really like the tag idea with notes on yarn, hook etc. I am going to start using these too as it such a fantastic idea. Great for my forgetful mind.
    Thanks for sharing your creations and thoughts.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa
      How are you ? I see you have been soooo busy, WOW, WOW and WOW again to the wedding cake that you made. It is absolutely stunning - you are so clever. The flower on top is amazing - I thought it was real ! If you could just whizz over to the UK and make one for my daughters wedding next year that would be fab !
      Thank you for all your lovely comments,
      K x

      Delete
  8. Oh Kate, that blanket is just perfect in every way! We are kindred spirits I believe, with our love of putty/grey/taupes, that wonderful Sublime yarn, and simple yet striking crochet! Of course I'm going to add this pattern to my WIP list, I think it would look lovely and comforting on my bed...but I want to make your infinity blanket first! Oh dear, the addiction grows...Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops sorry, didn't mean to make your list longer !
      Have a good weekend,
      K x

      Delete
  9. That must have taken so much work! It's gorgeous Kate ... elegant and subtle.

    Coffee rings ... don't all the best homes have a few of those?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful blanket, I really love the subtle colours you've used....think I may have to make something similar!
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline, hope you do and I'd love to see photo's !
      K x

      Delete
  11. Oh Kate, that is lovely!! I love all the colours that you use, so calming. Had to giggle when I saw your cup mark....I discovered one of my coffee table yesterday and went round reminding everyone ( again!!) to use coasters. Thank goodness I can sand and wax our furniture, although maybe I'll do a little sewing/ crochet first!! Have a lovely Sunday, Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Sarah, oh yes, definitely make sure you do the important stuff first !
      Have a good day,
      Kx

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous blanket Kate, simple but elegant. Looks great on the bed. thanks you for sharing the pattern link too.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love Sublime yarns Kate and your blanket is gorgeous in those neutral shades....the border looks so pretty too...Think I may have to add this to my 'to do' list (although it's becoming longer as each day passes....and then I love the squares with the tiny daisy too (!):....so many projects and so little time -) )
    Happy Tuesday!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just can't beat a list of things to make !
      Have a good day,
      K x

      Delete
  14. Hello lovely and yes, here we were typing about a similar thing, great minds think alike. It is so lovely to be able to look back at our achievements and this is definitely not short of one. It really is gorgeous Kate, I love it. I must confess that I haven't come across this pattern, but I really like the look of it, so I can already feel a desire bubbling inside me. Oh there are just too many gorgeous blankets out there that I would like to make, but this one is definitely up there with some of the best!!! Well done you. Hey if that coffee ring bothers you, sand and rewax! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hannapat
      I love your comments, you always make me giggle ! Definitely try this blanket pattern when you get a chance, its so easy that its a lovely therapeutic kind of crochet.
      Have a lovely Thursday,
      Hugs
      K x

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥