To start this post I would just like to say a really big thank you to everyone who left such
lovely comments on my last post that showed my Autumn Garland.
I truly love getting all your comments. You are all so encouraging and kind and I love being a
part of this big old bloggy share-a thon.
I do always try and leave a reply but I don't think it can be said too much, so ..
♥ Thank you ♥
there were quite a few requests for patterns and the like so here goes.
and Sublime Egyptian Cotton.
Both yarns have a very slight sheen to them that I think works really well on smaller three dimensional items. I had used them in the Daisy Garland I made earlier this year
and had been really pleased with the results.
After a lot of umming and ahhing I decided on using just 4 colours.
To say I was a bit indecisive about my choice of colours would really be quite
something of an understatement.
I had such good intentions of using up lots of my odds and ends and I got out
all my Autumny colours and tried so many different colour combinations.
But, the long and the short of it was that it just wasn't matching the image in my head.
So these ones all had a nice little day out of their drawer but
sadly ended up back where they started !
I used a 3 mm hook for the leaves and acorns as the solid tension it gives really helps to
give a bit of rigidity to the finished garland.
I spent quite a bit of time looking through Ravelry and my crochet books for various leaf
patterns and it has to be said there are certainly loads to choose from, however because
I wanted to include lots of acorns on my garland the oak leaves worked best.
The oak leaf pattern I went for was one from Ravelry by GoldenLucyCrafts.
I found it was clearly written and very easy to follow.
Once I had got the hang of the pattern I found I was able to alter the sizes of the leaves
and add extra curvy bits just for a bit of randomness !
The acorn pattern was from Squirrelpicnic.com
These are so much fun to make -
they work up so quickly and before you know it you have a proper
little squirrels treasure chest.
I worked a little tiny loop into the bottom of mine so they could
be hung on to the garland.
As I was working I tried to picture how I wanted the finished garland to look so I could work
out how many leaves I wanted in each of the colours.
Once I had enough leaves and acorns I worked a branch by making a chain out of 3 strands
of brown DK wool on a size 6 hook.
I worked out the length of the chain by measuring it up against the fireplace
where I wanted to hang it.
I then spent a bit of time putting together little clusters of leaves and acorns,
safety pins to pin the clusters in the right place.
Then it was just a matter of stitching everything in place.
I found quite solid stitching was needed to stop the leaves from swinging about once
the garland was finished, and I did find that on first hanging it I needed to go back and put a few more reinforcing stitches in.
The final thing needed to strengthen the garland is a piece of thin wire threaded all
the way along the back of the branch.
This was something that I found was needed after making my Daisy garland. I was so excited to have it finished, rushed to hang it up and it just sort of went flop - most disappointing !
The wire doesn't show if you keep it to the back and it allows the garland to still have the appearance of hanging freely whist being beautifully held in place.
Once the garland is hung in place you can carefully bend the wire
to the position you want.
one Autumny Garland.
Happy crocheting !