Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Sunday 10 May 2015

Border Control ....

 


From the title of this post you could easily be forgiven for thinking I was going to tell
 you all about some amazing, exotic holiday I've been on ....
well, sorry to disappoint but it's nothing quite that exciting .... 
just simply the thoughts ticking away in my head as I carry on knitting
 backwards and forwards,
backwards and forwards on my Goldilocks Wrap.
 
You see, I'm so near to finishing off the main bit now that I am literally
itching to get started on the border.
Without a doubt this is the bit I love most about any project I am working on,
from facecloth to cushion or scarf to blanket,
for me,
 it's all about the border.
 
 
Like underlining a title,
ending a sentence with a full stop or
writing The End at the end of a story,
it's the finishing off that brings it all together,
 
And I think that one of the reasons crochet has me so totally hooked
is for the sheer number of endless ways there are to add that little personal touch
 to something you have made.
 

 
Whether it's all about the contrast,
 
 
 creating a pattern within your border,
 
 
 
going with the less is more approach,
 

 
adding scallops
 
 
or shell edgings,


 
 
little picots,
 
 
zig zaggy or wavy,
 
 
whether it's ruffly ruffles

 
 
 
or bobbly bobbles,

 
 
 
 
 
or gloriously over the top pompoms,
 


 

 
the world is quite simply your oyster ..
there are no border controls at all !
It's up to you,
it's your choice,
there is no set map.
 
For me ?
Well, I guess I just cannot resist a good ruffle
 
 
 
and that's where I'm headed with the border for my Goldilocks Wrap ....
 
How about you  - have you got a favourite go to border ?
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

30 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm feeling a bit giddy with so many of your beautiful makes put together in one post. It's such an achievement when you see them all together like that. I love the ruffles too, and also the gorgeous flat edging of the grey squares with tiny white flowers in the middle. You've made so many beautiful things, you never fail to inspire me. I shall look forward to seeing your wrap when it's finished. I think you're nearly there! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite scary too to think how much I must have spent on yarn - but we won't worry about that ! Have a great week CJ, K xx

      Delete
  2. I love all of your border options and possibilities!!! So much to choose from indeed!! What a love of loveliness. The ruffles will be gorgeous on your shawl!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, definitely on the home run with the shawl now, K xx

      Delete
  3. They're all wonderful but I think I'm a little in love with the pom-poms. I'm yet to give them ago on a blanket but I'm definitely thinking along those lines when I do another blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am more than a little in love with the poms poms too Mitzi ! There's just something really fun about them, K xx

      Delete
  4. The ruffle on the shawl looks just right Kate. The borders on the blankets are just good old fashioned fun!! What an amazing collection of work. J x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them all but the pom poms are pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those borders are absolutely gorgeous Kate, you are so talented. L Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about that Anne - but I'm definitely a bit of a crochet addict I think when you see everything together like that ! K xx

      Delete
  7. Who knew there were so many possibilities? I've only achieved two of them...shell and ruffle, but I preferred the ruffle. The pom-poms are rather striking but I don't think I'd have the patience... even with a pom-pom gadget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruffles are fun to do aren't they, the frill just seems to sort of magically come from nowhere doesn't it ?, K xx

      Delete
  8. Love your pom- pom blanket! The ruffle on your shawl is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you are the border Queen! I like a border too, and I love how different blankets call for different types of border. Pom pom ones I think are fun, and I do like a bit of lace too!

    Have a super week my lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit to spending a fair bit of time admiring all the gorgeous edgings and borders that you do too - lets be Border Queens together ! Have a fab week Vanessa, K xx

      Delete
  10. Wow, what a selection. Shells are my favourite, but then again I do like a nice picot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely collection of blankets you have there Kate. I'm with you on the ruffles - I did a frilly edge on the last blanket I made and the process was as pleasing as the result. The pom poms look stunning too. If you're on the border of your shawl does that mean we get a ta-dah! soon? Have a great week. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jane, I think the ta-dah will be coming anytime now, possibly with a ta-dah of how it matches my wedding shoes too ! K xx

      Delete
  12. Decisions, decisions! I think on the blankets I've made it takes me longer to plan and decide which edging to do than it does to crochet the whole blanket! Looking forward to seeing the shawl x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you there - I definitely start thinking about the edging right at the beginning of starting the blanket ! Kxx

      Delete
  13. Your borders are always really creative and they tie the whole project together so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What lovely work!
    May I ask the name of the pattern for the Goldilocks wrap, please? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, The pattern is just one that I made up as I went along , but as soon as I have finished the wrap I'll take more pictures of it and put the write up and pattern in my blog post. K xx

      Delete
  15. All your borders are really beautiful, Kate, and each one matches the project perfectly! My own favourite border is probably pom poms at the moment!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lot of creativity in one post! Very glad I found your blog, I look forward to reading all your future posts X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥