Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Monday 27 June 2016

Summer Daisy Garland



With Summer in the UK seeming to have decided to hang fire for a bit,
 I took matters in to my own hands the other day and set about creating 
my own little piece of Summer for my kitchen shelf.

Seaside Cottages, Cornishware china and a garland of Summer Daisies 
were definitely what was called for.....
and here's what I did !


After a little dig around in my yarny odds and ends drawer I found 
some small amounts of cotton, DK I think, in white and cornflower blue 
and a length of some thin blue ribbon. I used a 3mm hook. 
You'll also need a small amount of stuffing for the crochet beads.


The pattern for both the daisies and the crochet beads will 
work in any weight yarn, just remember to use the correct hook size to match.

To make the Daisies:


Begin by making a Magic Ring, and work 8 DC into the ring. 
Pull the ring closed and SL ST to join.


Now work 2 DC in to each stitch. 16sts. 
SL ST to join and finish off. Sew in the ends.


Join in your second colour and chain 7.


Beginning in the 2nd chain from the hook work 6 DC, 
bringing you back to the beginning of the chain.
SL ST in to the next stitch.


Now chain 7 again and work the petal as before. 
Continue making petals around the circle.


I found 14 petals to be about the right amount,
 leaving you a stitch to SL ST back into to. Finish off. Sew in your ends.

I decided to block and stiffen my daisies, 
which I did by spraying them with Fablon Ironing Starch Spray 
and then pinning them out onto a board to dry for a couple of days.



To make the Crochet Beads:
( for a full picture tutorial clink here Crochet Beads )

Round 1:Make a Magic Ring and work 6 DC into the ring. 
Pull the ring closed and SL ST to join. 

Round 2:  Work 2 DC in to each stitch 12 sts. 

Round 3: Working in a continuous round, DC 36.

Round 4: Decrease 6 times, 6sts. Finish off leaving a long tail.

Stuff the bead and using a needle and the tail of yarn,
 run a gathering thread around the bottom of the bead and pull closed. 
Finish off and sew in the ends.


To join the garland together I alternated the flowers and the beads 
and I used a large needle to thread the ribbon along the back of each daisy
 and through the centre of each bead. 


Once finished it was just a matter of hanging it in place, 
and whilst it may not be quite up there with a holiday in the Caribbean, 
it's more than Summery enough for me !

My little Seaside Cottages are made by the lovely Loraine of 
She sells through Etsy or her facebook Page.


21 comments:

  1. Kate, your daisy garland looks amazing, I love the colour. I've never crocheted little beads before so thank you for the step by step instructions. As for the daisy pattern, I think it's the prettiest one I've seen so far. What a great idea to spray them with starch. Your projects are very inspiring and I'm a great admirer of your work. Enjoy your day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely words Mandy - I hope you enjoy making the Garland xx

      Delete
  2. Kate, I've been following your work on instagram, but am so happy to have found your beautiful page!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, hooray :) I'm glad you found me too xx

      Delete
  3. What a lovely, lovely garland you made! It made me smile, after a rainy day. I live in The Netherlands, and we have the same bad summer as you do.
    Thank you for sharing the pattern, I go look for some yarn to make my own garland, to brighten up today.
    Love, Anja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anja I hope you really enjoy making it xx

      Delete
  4. I made a summer daisy garland last year after seeing it on your blog and I think this one is even better if I may so so. So pretty, may have to hook up once I've finished the WIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy :) - you can never have too many Daisy garlands ! Xx

      Delete
  5. Absolutely beautiful. Had my eye on these on instagram and may have to hook one up myself. Love the cornflower blue. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's absolutely lovely, you do make the nicest things. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty, I do love cornflower blue :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing your beautiful garland! I love daisies, too. U are using UK crochet terms, correct? Thanks again, Kate:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, yes , the patterns in UK terms, sorry I should have said. Hope you get to give it a go xx

      Delete
  9. I love this alternative color for daisies! I looked for the pattern on your Pinterest boards, but I can't find it. I would like to save it for next week, and that's my favorite place to save patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl, I'm glad you like it.I'm afraid at the moment the pattern is only available here, on my blog. xx

      Delete
  10. Really very nice your summer look garland at your home!!Have happy July!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. Could you explain round 4 of the bead for me please?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous garland! I've just seen it on the Love Crochet site. It's pretty in both blue and apricot. I love your patterns! Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥